Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Morning Message/Meeting

Although our dual language program schedule is very tight and we are always on the go, I make sure to allot at least a couple of minutes for our circle time/Morning Message every morning after our announcements! I think that this circle time is important for several reasons, one being that it provides a routine that children learn to expect. However, another added benefit is that it also builds students linguistic confidence and sets up the rest of the day nicely. After having done this every day, I have many children repeating my greeting ("Buenos dias niños y niñas") and my closing line ("Vamos a tener un dia _____, Señorita Pantin"). I love seeing my students saying these words and following along because they are speaking in Spanish and learning some words/phrases!





I always start the message by saying how our day went yesterday (always positive!) and I always include the Special that we have that day so that students know what to expect. I also include what we are doing that morning together. Something that I've started doing more lately is make my punctuation marks thicker in order to point them out visually for students when they are looking at the message and hearing me read it. Since in Spanish we use a question mark at the beginning and end of a sentence, I make them thick so that students can start distinguishing this difference in both of the languages. 

I think that this time together is very important in setting up the day and having students know the expectations for their morning. For dual language programs, in the target language, it is essential to provide many opportunities for the students to hear the language during a routine but also to have a chance to talk. I try to provide children with opportunities to review some of the ideas/concepts we have worked on/are working on during the week. Even with a tight schedule, these little moments are significant and important in fostering community, developing linguistic confidence and setting up a successful day of learning (and fun of course!).


No comments:

Post a Comment